High Banks, Coombe Park, Kingston TQ 2050 7125 MOLAS (Robert Cowie) watching brief Oct 1993 Octagen Developments Ltd COO93
Geological strata, consisting of Claygate Beds, was cut by modern walls and drains and sealed by garden soil and demolition rubble.One residual mesolithic/neolithic flint core was recovered..
Kingston Hospital Ante-natal Clinic, Galsworthy Rd, Kingston Hill, Surrey TQ 1961 6994 MOLAS (Michael Shea) evaluation Apr 1993 Kingston Hospital National Health Trust KAN93
Redeposited material, recorded above London Clay, contained mostly late 19th c finds but also heavily abraded sherds of possible Roman and post-Roman ceramics.
84 London Rd, Kingston TQ 1865 6930 MOLAS (Pat Miller) evaluation Oct 1993 Sigma Properties Ltd LRK93
Ploughsoil above natural brickearth was cut by a number of graves which are part of a burial ground established by the Quakers in the 17th c. The graves were aligned either N-S or E-W and intercutting occurs. Most of the burials appear to have been adults or adolescents.
Kingston Grammar School, 70-72 London Rd, Kingston TQ 1855 6930 MOLAS (Friederike Hammer) watching brief Aug 1993 Kingston Grammar School KGS93
The watching brief took place in the school yard where the lowest recorded deposit was sand, either disturbed natural or make-up. It was overlain by make-up for the tarmac surface of the yard which was relaid twice.
85 Red Lion Road, Tolworth, Surrey TQ 1908 6605 MOLAS (Stuart Gibson) watching brief Nov 1993 Mr C N Follett RLR93
Garden soil overlay natural clay.
Rosebank, Fairfax Rd, Teddington TQ 1641 7059 MOLAS (Barney Sloane) evaluation May 1993 Barratt Southern Counties Ltd RFR93
Natural clay and sands were sealed by a soil horizon. At the interface between the two several small prehistoric flints were recovered. The soil was then cut by a ditch dated to the 18th c and a posthole dated to the late 18th-19th c.
Surbiton Lagoon, Rayburn Ave, Surbiton TQ 1960 6725 MOLAS (Michael Shea) evaluation Feb 1993 Threshold Housing Association SLN93
London Clay was overlain by alluvium which, on the W side of the site was thin, but on the NE side was cut by a series of N-S channels. These presumably mark the ancient line of the Tolworth Brook, a tributary of the R.Hogsmill. The alluvium was sealed, on the E side of the site, by 18th c or later deposits, on the W by topsoil.
1 Thames St (rear), Kingston-upon-Thames TQ 1784 6924 MOLAS (Michael Shea) watching brief Apr 1993 Bingley Building Society Ltd THA93
A NE-SW channel cut through the natural waterlain sands and gravels. Its upper fill is dated to the mid 14th-mid 16th c which suggests that it could have been a drain or sewer for a late 13th-early 14th c masonry building which was originally discovered on the site by the Kingston-upon-Thames Archaeological Society in 1971. The rear of this building was represented during these investigations by flint footings which formed a right angle. There may have been an external surface associated with this building or it may have formed part of a path at the rear of the subsequent brick building. Dating evidence from the earlier excavations suggests that the masonry building was destroyed in the mid 16th c and replaced by a brick building in the mid-late 16th c. A foundation trench on this site probably indicates an extension towards the Thames.
In the NW of the site a large square pit was constructed in the 16th c and was still in use during the 17th c. It was probably used for melting down bitumen since this was found in one of the fills. Bitumen was an important material for ship building, a common industry in Kingston in the 16th and 17th c. There was probably a change of land use for the rear of the property when the pit became disused in the late 17th or early 18th c and was superceded by a well which is likely to have been associated with the brick building. An external surface was probably related to this well; both were covered by dumps. The rear of the brick building was added to and a backyard or garden surface may relate to this extension dated, by documentary evidence, to the mid 18th c. At the S edge of the site a Victorian drain was aligned along King's Passage which formed a public access to the Thames. The area was covered by the debris from the 1971 excavations.
Warren End, Warren Cutting, Coombe Hill, Kingston TQ 2085 7048 MOLAS (Gillian King) evaluation & excavation June 1993 Octagon Developments Ltd WEK93
A ditch containing mesolithic flintwork and Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age pottery may have been an enclosure, delineation or boundary ditch, possibly related to the known prehistoric occupation on Kingston Hill. A deposit above the natural gravels also contained a significant amount of worked flint and a small amount of pottery of similar date: it may represent an ancient land surface or hillwash. The great quantity of struck flint waste recovered would suggest a knapping floor nearby.
Warren Gate Children's Home, Kingston Hill, Kingston TQ 2008 7110 MOLAS (Gillian King) evaluation Aug-Sept 1993 The Royal Borough of Kingston-upon-Thames WGK93
Natural gravels had been disturbed and truncated by gravel extraction, landscaping and road construction.