: London Borough of Sutton
In July 2005 MoLAS provided a Senior Archaeologist and an archaeologist to assist with this community archaeology project ('Time Detectives'), which was directed by the London Borough of Sutton, Learning for Life, Heritage Service. Youth groups and individuals aged between 13 and 19 were involved in discovering more about this once imposing house, which was built around 1700 and demolished a century later.
The excavation uncovered the north and south sides of the old Mansion building, including the remains of the steps on the southern and the northern frontages. Excavation in the internal parts of the building revealed three cellars, running the length of the building, surviving to a depth of 1m, one of which had a flint floor. The northernmost cellar also revealed a doorway which was blocked up at some stage during the lifetime of the building.